Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Book Report-- The Vienna Prelude


The Vienna Prelude M
by Brock and Bodie Thoene

Historical Fiction


Don't mind the girly-looking cover. This work of fiction brings a serious plot set in thick historical context.

In the midst of the drama and intrigue of 1930's Germany, I found myself consumed with the story of the Lindheim family. The complexities of a Jewish family in increasingly Nazi Germany are not only the stuff of a good novel but instances of human existence perhaps unparalleled in history. Whether or not unparalleled, they offered me a unique opportunity to address issues of life in my own mind that I might not otherwise.

I love the history. As is often quoted, those who forget history are doomed to repeat it. This history, for the most part, would be horrific to repeat. I know that sinful men, though, will not learn. Studying history then becomes like studying the enemy's playbook. More than just avoiding or preventing the same manifestations of evil, I believe we should be understanding the world around us and how to better respond to and reach it.

Diatribe aside, it was a thoroughly good book (even granting a romance factor). I look forward to the rest of the series and the opportunity to learn more and more.

No comments: