Friday, August 27, 2010

Some humor from WWI Hero Sergeant York

from Sergeant York and the Great War, by Tom Skeyhill (a study in English dialect as much as in WWI)




The pious Kentucky mountain boy in Paris, explaining how he got lost and got back to the hotel:

"So you see, I never takened home any girls in France, but one of them had to take me home, Ho! Ho!" pg195

And his experience with luxury in NYC:
"The were two beds in my room (at the Waldorf Astoria). Twin beds. That kinder tickled me. I didn't know which one to sleep in. So I tried them both." pg199


And on a serious note, considering and answering one of many "reasons" given for his safety and success in the battle:
"I ain't so foolish as to deny that I know a whole heap about guns. I do. I know, too, that I am a tol'able good shot. But I don't car how good a shot man is, hit ain't in the nature of thins for one man with an army rifle and a pistol to whip thirty-five machine guns that can each fire over six-hundred shots a minute; from a p'int blank range of between twenty and thiry yards." pg181

No comments: